Friday, September 7, 2018

FA Portfolio: "Pretty Thing" Progress




I started this project with research. I chose to model the cat after a leopard. I began by watching many videos of leopards, and looking to pictures of their anatomy. Next I thought of a pose, and developed a sketch; this process took longer than I anticipate.

 I then continued onto the painting, blocking out the form of the body and shadow areas, and started to fill in the rose petals. I intend to cover the entire body in clusters of roses. I am not satisfied with the way the roses look yet; I want them to be more alive. Hopefully in the coming progression I can eventually reach a point where they look more lively, a matter of tweaking my palette, and really concentrating on the fine details for a great deal of time. 

              I want to put some language onto the piece, and thought about several phrases, but for the time being, I have settled on “Pretty Thing”. I am still in the process of deciding how to render that text. I aim to have the painting completed by next week.Thematically, I think that the element of repetition I was considering is applicable here, I need to think further on these implications, and articulating those of the text.


The reading this week discusses the process of critique. A closer look at how it may unfold for those involved. I tend to consider that an area that I need work on, being naturally of a more reserved nature. I hope to improve on optimizing helpful feedback for my fellow classmates this semester, which in turn will also help me in my own processes. One topic I focused on was the subject of declaring and exploring intention; here is an area I often struggle with. The way it was discussed was interesting, pointing out that we usually do not really know our own motives, even if we think that we do. This along with the advice given by the professor to make honest work has me thinking that perhaps I should just focus on producing the work, and not dwell or worry too much about the intentions. 

 
Summer on the River Wye, Oil, 12x12


Daffodils, oil 16x16

An artist I look to for inspiration this week is Michael James Smith. Smith is an English landscape painter who works primarily with oils. I do not exactly want to emulate that advanced hyper-realism; I am more so drawn to the way which he is able to so effectively capture vivid life in his paintings. The subjects: plants and landscapes are also relevant for my current project. I also would like to work towards his level of dedication to his process, and confidence in his abilities.

https://michaeljamessmith.com/gallery/

No comments:

Post a Comment