Monday, May 1, 2017

Masked Identity

Frowning
18 gauge galvanized wire, tracing paper, red ink
approx. 22" x 12" x 19" 






For my mask I decided to play with what I consider a stereotype: that women should always be happy or smiling. I have a naturally serious looking face, and this coupled with my more reserved personality, has led to countless instances of people I know-or complete strangers-demanding that I smile; no matter what I am doing. I wanted to go for a more humorous tone to reflect how ridiculous it seems to me to feel the need to plaster on a fake smile while doing even the most mundane activities, like waiting to cross the road, or throwing away trash. In fact, the next day after taking these photos a man I did not know emerged from the bathroom while I was waiting for the elevator and told me "It helps to smile" followed by "feel better".

I chose a public setting for the photos to increase interaction with people and also represent my normal daily life. Ironically, the sight of giant frowning lips made many people smile. I shot the photos in pairs with the idea to be presented as a progression; the first one looking away, and the second one gazing at the viewer (presumably after being told to laugh or smile).

I incorporated the color pink because it is a stereotypical feminine color, and I feel that the idea of projecting happiness constantly is an expectation more often geared towards females.

The renaissance symbol that I chose to use was the closed book, which represents the continuation of education and learning. This made sense to me because I am currently in college. Another reason I chose this is because I am still learning how to deal with this problem. Being told to smile more used to make me very angry. However, now, I have come to see some humor in these situations and recognize those of the group that only want others to be happy.

Process Photos:






No comments:

Post a Comment